Saturday, July 12

you know my name

Jeremy. A strange set of syllables. Constantly misspelled by well meaning data entry customer service representatives, despite its ubiquitous selection by suburban mothers in the late 80's. Mispronounced by the other children ("jermy"). My name has just never quite fit me, no matter how much I may identify with Pearl Jam. Why "Jeremy?" I haven't been able to make sense of it.

Some meanings of the word: "appointed by god" "god will uplift" "the lord exalts"

Those things don't sound so bad. I've always felt like I was inherently lucky. Uplifted, sure.

The name also comes from Jeremiah, the famous scholar of biblical times. I can relate to that role, as I have an insatiable interest in accumulating knowledge.

Jeremiah is also known as the weeping prophet.



Today I learned a new word, a word that seems to capture a quintessential chunk of my constitution. Jeremiad.

"A Jeremiad is a long literary work, usually in prose, but sometimes in poetry, in which the author bitterly laments the state of society and its morals in a serious tone of sustained invective, and always contains a prophecy of society's imminent downfall."

"As such, the name jeremiad, in the sense of a dolorous tirade, is given to moralistic texts that denounce a society for its wickedness, and prophesy its downfall."

Perfect.

I know, this comes from the biblical tone of Jeremiah, but still, I haven't made a connection like this before. It's not a matter of being a rebel for the sake of rebellion, nor is it an insecurity masked by cynicism. I think there is something seriously wrong with the American way of life. Corporations control our country, they control our laws, our environment, our medicine, our food. Their only goal is to increase quarterly profits. They have no concern for the quality of, or future of our lives. The situation is dismal, disheartening, disconcerting, disgusting.

No comments: