Saturday, August 30

sebastian



As exciting as this move has been, and as much as I needed to get out of San Diego, I must say I miss Ju Jutsu. Sebastian and I spent a lot of time together over the past couple years, at least three days a week, usually more. He began my initiation into a sub culture, an almost secret society.

Our meetings consisted of exploring the mechanics of the body, with the goal of making a lot of weight easy to move, making another's will easier to conquer, thinking ahead - our own minds clean in intention.

We've hit each other, kicked each other, thrown each other, choked each other, pinned each other, and locked every joint of the other's body countless times since the end of 2006, and never injured each other. All this for the sake of keeping alive a tradition of knowledge that stirs an inexplicable passion in both of us.

Why learn Ju Jutsu? The confidence gained by learning techniques is conditional at best. You never know what would happen in real life. You could get stabbed, shot, or just plain get your ass kicked, and would all of this training be wasted time? In this country you'll go to jail if you actually use any of it anyway. Why spend all of this time just to learn Ju Jutsu?

Because there is a lot more to it than hitting, kicking, throwing, choking, pinning, and joint locking.

Physical techniques are a first step of understanding esoteric principles of how to move through life. Ju Jutsu is the art of gentleness; life shouldn't be a struggle.



Our conversations were inspiring. Between the philosophy, and the physical exercise, I managed to stay sane throughout an otherwise stressful time (school is boring).

I had been looking for a long time for a martial art to study; finally things just fell into place. Some places I had trained at just didn't feel right. The techniques may have been interesting, but perhaps there was no connection with other students. Or maybe the people there were clearly out to prove something. Other times, I would find a place I liked, but life happens, and moving across the country makes it tough to stay in one school. Sometimes in the past, I could feel instructors' egos guide the classes I had been in. Due to my strong aversion to feeding already bloated egos, I would soon abandon those schools. For one reason or another, I could never stay in one place long enough to learn anything. I feel very lucky to have met Sebastian when I finally did.



He, of course, would deny that there's anything special about him. He would claim that all he did was his job, to teach a list of techniques in a system. He would claim that it is normal for him to show up on Saturdays, essentially teaching private lessons to the only student willing to show up. He would credit me for doing the work. His humility, of course, only reinforces his genuine nature, making me all the more grateful for the kind of teacher and friend that he is.

1 comment:

suzette said...

Love the photos, and having met Sebastian, I can vouche for his genuine, generous soul. He's a gift!