Monday, April 6

the eleventh week fourteen (of eleven)

Today marks the beginning of my last week of classes. I have a presentation due tonight in practice management class, an interview. I sent an interview out to an interesting supervisor I had in San Diego. I've typed that up, along with an assignment I gave myself: solicit words of wisdom from people who have been in my shoes before. I'll present all this tonight in class.

Tuesday brings a clinic shift in the morning, and then I teach Ju Jutsu until 2pm.

Thursday, I have a paper due. I'm working on it now. 80% done I'd say.

That is it for classes. Next week I have a clinic shift on Tuesday morning, which is my very last obligation to the PCOM curriculum. Upon finishing this shift, I will shave my head and beard, become reborn, renewed, fresh, a bald baby, with a dirty white belt.

My application for IL state licensure goes out in the mail today (with a $500 check, of course....). They will build a file on me, fill it in with the other bureaucrats' papers, and one day I'll get my license in the mail.

Now, what to do with this indeterminate stretch of free time?

I bought a ticket to Greenville from April 22-28. Bond with the parents, thank them for their unending support through all this. Get out for some walks/hikes/dog wrestling/whatever. Sleep in a quiet room.

When I get back, Rebecca and I will have to move. We're looking for a house.

Early May we drive out to upstate New York for a few days. Get back to my roots. Come full circle. Try to remember who I was in august 2005, optimistic kid, driving off to California to learn something, find something. I want to see the place I grew up, see what it's like now that nothing's left of it. Show Rebecca, help her imagine who I used to be, let her remind me.

When we get back to IL, I've arranged to take a sabbatical at Toni and Jerry's place. I'll stay up there for a bit, spending the days doing manual labor to clear my mind, calm my spirit, and squeeze the sedentary life of a student from my young body. I'm lucky in this situation, as they live in a quiet home, with a basement that needs sheetrock, and a backyard full of buckthorn, patiently awaiting my machete. I plan to get good with the blade.

The license will come, the work will come, money, satisfaction, creative thinking, service to others, they will all come.

First though, I have to stop procrastinating on this Blog, and finish my paper for Thursday...

No comments: