Tuesday, April 14

it's official



I had my last clinic shift this morning. It is official. Graduated. I'm not going to be in attendance at the PCOM sanctioned graduation event, so Rebecca and I created our own ceremony to mark the occasion. We've been planning this for a while. I haven't shaved or gotten a haircut in ages, saving it all for this special day.

We do keep a lot in our hair. They say it has a memory of its own. I've shaved my head a bunch of times, and every time I do, I feel so lighter, like I was able to do away with something otherwise intangible. This was the first time I'd ever had such a beard before though, so it was an even more drastic change.



They look like brothers, don't they?

The beard was more than a fashion statement; I grew it seasonally, some extra insulation for a cold Chicago winter.

Some people like to poke fun at me about keeping a beard for warmth. They suppose that it can't make all that much of a difference in winter. I would ask those people then, if it doesn't make much of a difference, would they want one on their face during a hot humid summer?

Me neither. And now that it's gone, I find myself hoping Spring actually does arrive soon.



I suppose I can still wear a scarf.

1 comment:

suzette said...

It's official now...you are so HANDSOME! I think I saw your 'brother' on C.O.P.S...... ;-)

Seriously, congratulations Jeremy. It has been such a journey; these years filled with choices, uncertainty, challenge, conflict and triumph! I am filled with pride and happiness for you, for those whose lives you will touch in your soulful unique way, just as you have touched mine.

You have made your life so much more than I could ever have hoped for you when I held you in my arms all those years ago on that cold, cold morning. It has been such a journey and what is most exciting is that your journey really is just beginning! I'm blessed to be here to see it continue to unfold. You truly are a gift. My son! I love you with all my heart!